Monday, November 9, 2009

Metal and Glass

Metal
For this assignment we were assigned a partner from class to grip for the other person. Jessica Barnet and I were paired together to see what we could come up with. Unfortunately I came down with a severe case of swine flu and shot my portion of the shoot before it became too serious. About a week later I was feeling good enough to make it to the studio and contribute to Jessica's efforts.
From the begging in knew I wanted to do something with cooking and food. I had some
pork fillets I would put on a wood cutting board but I thought it was going to neglect metal as the subject so decided to keep it simple and go with the peppers and parsley.
I started by laying out a black piece of 1/8in black plexi glass on a table. The black plexi acts just like a piece of metal or glass, it will reflect the surroundings in this case mostly the background. I lit the bowl all by itself until I found an exposure and lighting set up that worked. I shot this at 1/250 @ f9.5. When I was satisfied with the composition I added the food elements and spritzed the outside of the strainer to give it a wet appearance. I added the orange gel at the last minute when I was being kicked out of the studio.
Glass
My partner and I worked on this shot together when I was still a little sick from swine flu. We tried many different
techniques until we decided to go with all wood. There was an old wooden desk in the studio and a wooden door we used for the background. We used a yellow and orange mixed gel on the background a front fill spotlight bounced off a white piece of plexi for the foreground and a snood on the glass. I would have liked to have seen more fire in the glass but when we looked at it on the LCD it looked o.k. We also used fake ice and spritzed the glass to make them look cold.

In Photoshop I shortened the bottle because we should have used a 1/5 but all we had was a handle. I added the text just to show what this could look like in an ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment